Sunday, August 29, 2010

San Fernando Middle School

On Thursday I found out that I will most likely be student teaching at San Fernando Middle School. Here are some facts I would like to share about SFMS.
  • The diversity rank is 1/10, meaning the chances of any two students having a different ethnic background is slim: the student population is 97.1% Latino.
  • Nearly half (49.7%) of the student are English language learners.
  • 74% of the students receive free or reduced-priced lunch.
  • The school's Academic Performance Index (API) is 1/10, which means their test scores are in the bottom 10% of the state.
  • In 2010, only 21.6% of the students scored "proficient or above" in math on STAR testing, and only 26.8% did so in English.
  • In 2009, the school missed 12 of the 21 federal targets in No Child Left Behind.
Below is a map I obtained from http://www.lapdcrimemaps.org/. It is centered around SFMS, and shows a 4 mile radius of the crimes that were reported in the past 7 days.




















I've started brushing up on my Spanish thanks to Rosetta Stone. I'm a bit nervous.

No comments:

Post a Comment